For the past decade, ImQuest has been at the forefront of topical microbicide development and discovery research. Our programs assess the activity of agents, defines the mechanism of action of potential microbicides, and quantifies the toxicity of a potential microbicide against cells, tissues and organisms relevant to microbicide product use.
STI Relevant Organisms
- Hepatitis viruses
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Chlamydia trachomatis
- Trichomonas vaginalis
- Candida albicans
- Gardnerella vaginalis
Our services are available for the evaluation of small molecules, natural products, immune modulators, biologics and therapeutic antibodies and provide necessary support from initial discovery, structure-activity relationship evaluation, lead identification and IND-directed preclinical development.
Don’t see the assay you are looking for? Contact our technical team. We would be happy to perform a feasibility review and we can explore assay transfer or internalization from a pre-developed or published method.
Quantification of Anti-Viral Activity and Cellular Toxicity
- Evaluation of antiviral activity using well-characterized laboratory strains of virus
- Evaluation against geographically diverse strains where applicable
- Evaluation of antiviral activity in relevant primary cells and tissues
- Antiviral activity across a range of viral multiplicities of infection
- Antiviral activity following pH transition from pH 4 to pH 7
- Protection against infection by cell-free and cell-associated HIV-1 virus
- Antiviral activity in the presence of whole semen, seminal plasma, cervicovaginal lavage fluid and mucin
- Virucidal activity evaluations for agents which inactivate infectious virus
- Evaluation of virus sterilization using the Microbicide Transmission and Sterilization Assay (MTSA)
Determination of Mechanism of Action
- Inhibition of virus entry to include attachment, fusion and entry through co-receptors
- Direct virus inactivation (virucidal activity)
- Biochemical activity assays
Selection and Characterization of Resistant Virus
- Assess the susceptibility of approved drugs to microbicide-resistant HIV variants
- Assess the susceptibility of the microbicide to variants resistant to approved antiretroviral drugs
- Perform resistant virus selection on microbicide candidates to assess the relative ease of resistant virus selection as well as the genotype and fitness of resistant viruses that emerge during selection
Toxicity to Normal Human Vaginal Microflora and Other Relevant Cell Types
- Cervical, vaginal and rectal specific cell lines
- Epivaginal tissue
- Normal vaginal flora, Lactobacillus including static and cidal activity
Request a Scientific Consultation
We would love to hear more about your research and development needs. Contact us and we can coordinate a discussion with one of our technical directors to better understand your needs and develop a customized solution.
Can’t find what you are looking for? Reach out to us, we can help.
Explore Additional Services
The ImQuest scientific team has extensive expertise in the development of small molecules, natural products, biologics and vaccines for the treatment and prevention of infectious disease, cancer, and inflammatory disease. Explore our additional service offerings, or reach out to schedule a consultation.
Our goal is to help our clients accelerate their research and development efforts leading to the successful development of new products for the prevention and treatment of human disease. We have a very specific mission; accelerate your research and development plans and provide robust data in support of your projects.